Friday, April 18, 2008

OMG! Are you kidding me??

Okay friends. I just need a moment to vent. I feel like I rate a rant every once in a while. I mean, I try not to complain a lot about my situation. Because, really, I don't have a reason to complain. I knew when I married David there would always be a possibility he would have to go to war. In fact, I know for certain that he wouldn't have chosen me to be his wife if I weren't completely supportive of his military commitment. With that said, I do my best to keep life at home as normal as possible until he returns. I don't think about how hard my life is right now because I KNOW his life has got to be a bizzilion times worse. At least I sleep in my own house, in my own bed, with my family around me. He doesn't have that luxury. In fact, he doesn't have any luxury at all. AND, out of respect for him, I do not complain about the day to day crap that goes on here because it can't possibly surpass the amount of crap he has to deal with. I mean really, can you imagine being in his boots right now?? I didn't think so...

So here's the rant part:
I am SO TIRED of hearing how life is so hard for people around me. Now for those of you who read this, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU. I'm talking about the people I hear at the store, or on the radio, or on television. Is their life really that bad? Is it really so awful that their husband went to play golf with his buddy and stayed gone all day Saturday when there was obviously yard work to do? (DO IT YOURSELF-LADY!) I mean, is it really that bad that you had to put gas in your car? And puh-lease...he's gone on a hunting trip and won't be back for a week...REALLY?!? Is that so bad??? Because my husband has been gone since September and isn't coming home for a y-e-a-r. My husband would love to do yard work. And the hunting trip...well, he's hunting all right. He's out there fighting to protect you and your rights. Oh yeah, let's not forget those women who "can't be alone" and find some other warm body to fill their void. COME ON!! He's sacrificing his time, family and life to fight for the blanket of freedom for which you get to sleep under each night while he sleeps with one eye open at all times. He would love to hear the sound of the kids arguing, he would love to have to run to the grocery store to get that one item I told him not to forget and he forgot it anyway.

Yes, I chose this life and I am not about to complain about it. In fact, I would choose it over and over and over again as long as David is in it. You can choose to be a victim or you can choose to be a strong, independent woman. Maybe I owe this all to my parents. They have raised very independent children who respect God and Country. They have always preached to us that you do what is right, and you don't complain about it. (Well Mom and Dad, I'm complaining now...but I mean well. Oh, and thank you!)

SO PLEASE---STOP WHINING!!!

When you lay your head down tonight. Think of what it must be like for our service men and women. I dare you to stop and think of what life must be like for them....

And one more thing...I go to bed alone every night. I know there are no guarantees in life, but the odds against my husband are far worse than yours. So the next time you think your life is so bad, THINK AGAIN LADY! At least you know your husband is safe and sound...no matter where he is...

(Sigh! OK, thanks! I feel much better now...)

4 comments:

Kisha said...

I know just who your talking about. I see/hear them and I think "what about the family's of our soldiers? How hard is their day/week/month/year? Some of them are having a harder time than I am right now".

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm crawling out from under my rock of shame to admit my whining of late. You're so right. Now I feel like a total jerk.

We miss you David!!

Gina said...

Devin...you fall under the category of my disclaimer. I totally respect you and all that you do with 6 kids from 18 years to almost 1, and your husband is gone almost as much as he is home. So, again to those whiny women...stop it!! She was "sick as a dog" and she did it all by herself. (see everyone-i told you our parents are the ones to thank!)

Steph said...

Many, many thanks to you, David, and your family, Gina. I try to keep things in perspective, but sometimes we all need a swift kick in the butt to remind us how good life really is. Thanks for the kick! :)

P.S. Colorado has a new "Support the Troops" license plate - very cool, and what a great idea! It's on my short list...between that and the "Kids First" plates.